Monday, September 12, 2005

Retro Active

Wow. You know it's bad when something makes me feel old.

But that's just how I felt when I was forwarded to the Browser Emulator (via dejavu.org). It re-creates Web sites as they would have been displayed in Netscape Navigator 1.0, Internet Explorer 2.0, Hot Java, and even Mosaic (Netscape 0.9b). To no one's surprise, it's difficult to find a site that displays properly. But if you've been on the 'Net as long as I have, it'll give you a feeling of nostalgia.

Gosh. I remember running a 2400 baud modem in our 386 system with a 200 megabyte hard drive. We had Prodigy BBS service before it even connected to the Internet. When the Internet finally hit Prodigy, you had to pay something like a dollar per minute to connect to it. I even remember leaving the computer on for two days to download an upgrade to Prodigy's software.

I think, back then, our computer ran on coal. And I had to walk uphill both ways to school.

1 Comments:

At 8:04 AM, Blogger Mindy McAdams said...

Good personal voice, good link.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home